Giving back and making a difference in the lives of those whom need it most is, to me, one of the most rewarding things we can do in this life.
Every Year, on Giving Tuesday, nonprofits all over the world benefit from the benevolence of awesome humans donating their time, money and or other resources to help serve our most vulnerable. It's beautiful. It goes without saying that this year the Covid-19 pandemic has affected everyone in some way- Non-profits included. As financial disruptions happen in our own lives, charities and nonprofits feel the strain along with us.
So, this Giving Tuesday, we'd love to help inspire everyone to give back in some way. By the way, we are all about small business shopping, but if you do shop on Amazon...did you also know that you can even give back through your Amazon purchases?! Shop through AmazonSmile instead of the regular Amazon and you can choose for a portion of your spend to go to a charity!
This year, especially, any amount or kind gesture can mean so much. At Lat & Lo this year, we will be donating to our local animal welfare groups, The Jax Humane Society and First Coast No More Homeless Pets which helps provide families in need with affordable vet care for their furry family members.
Taken straight from the official Giving Tuesday website, here are some ways to make a difference this year. We really love the #unselfie challenge (you can download your own sign below to join the fun!)
You can even enter for a chance to win $10k for your favorite charity! Details at the bottom.
- Volunteer. People choose to volunteer for a variety of reasons. For some, it offers the chance to give something back to the community or make a difference to the people around them. For others, it provides an opportunity to develop new skills or build on existing experience and knowledge. Search for nonprofits in your neighborhood and email them to see what volunteer opportunities they have available. Also check out VolunteerMatch.
- Donate to a nonprofit or community organization that has impacted your life. Connect with an organization that's working on a cause that matters to you through our Participating Organizations page.
- Help your favorite nonprofit in a more hands-on way and start a fundraiser for them. Never hosted a fundraiser before? It’s as easy as telling a story about why this cause is important to you.
- Payroll giving is a great way to give regular support to the causes you care about. Donate a part of your paycheck to a nonprofit or talk to your employer about how your organization can make giving back part of its official policy.
Give Your Talent
- Use your skills to help a nonprofit with anything from finance to legal help to marketing. You can search for pro bono opportunities on Taproot+ or reach out to your local nonprofits to see how you can use your talents to do good.
Give Your Voice
- Sign an online petition, call an elected official, or advocate for a cause that matters to you.
- Mobilize your neighbors to look for solutions to your local community issues such as homelessness, gang violence, food deserts, or mental health care.
Shop for Good
- Many nonprofits operate social enterprises to support their missions. Give holiday gifts that make an impact this holiday season by shopping for gifts that give back!
Help a Neighbor
- Hold a door open, give up your seat on the train or just smile for someone you don’t know. Check out our Acts of Kindness calendar for more inspiration.
- Teach your kids to give back. Get your children involved by talking to them about the importance of giving. Everything from giving unwanted toys to smiling at someone on the street can make a difference in someone’s life.
Get Involved With Your Community
- Visit our Community Campaigns page to see if there’s a local GivingTuesday movement happening in your area. Get connected with these leaders to learn more about how you can help in your local community.
- From cleaning up a neighborhood park, volunteering in your child's school, or organizing a community garden, make a commitment on GivingTuesday to give back to your community this year.
Share Your Giving
- Be Unselfie: Share how you are giving back on GivingTuesday by posting your #UNselfie on your social media. You can use our #UNselfie sign to get started!
- Share a #MyGivingStory: The 2018 #MyGivingStory contest is open! Share a story about why you give back and you could win up to $10,000 for your favorite cause.
Share how you're giving back on GivingTuesday and help spread the giving movement by sharing on social media!
YOU can make all the difference. Cheers!